Sunday, May 17, 2009

Day Trip to Alabama

On Thursday, I took a ride over to see my Aunt Claudia in Valley Head, AL. She's doing her big, annual yard sale there along Highway 11 and my cousin Matthew's duo-band was performing at a local restaurant that night, too. So overall, it was a great reason to take a drive and get out of the house for the day. My cousin, Ryan, who lives in Chattanooga, rode along with Logan and me, too.

We got there around 4:30 and hung out with Claudia for a while at the yard sale. She had a steady stream of customers stopping by, and I can only imagine business picked up as it got closer to the weekend. Logan had never been to a yard sale before, and he was just amazed by all the stuff everywhere. He kept walking around and looking at everything in awe. I have to say, too, man, my little child is GOOD. How many 2 year olds do you know that would go to a yard sale and not be touching everything in sight? Logan knows how to keep his hands to himself and not touch every item he sees. The hardest part was just having to keep following him around since he wanted to walk through each "aisle" and see all the stuff for sale. He finally stood in one place for a while when he found a screwdriver and pretended to be fixing an old camera tripod. Overall, he seemed to have a good time!


Logan at the yard sale


Me, Claudia, & Logan


That blow-up beer thing ended up coming home with us, Logan wanted it!


Me at the yard sale


Logan & a Smurf!


Logan with the screwdriver that kept him entertained!


After the yard sale, Ryan, Logan, and I went to Shorty's Cafe, this little hole-in-the-wall restaurant there on the flashing light corner in Valley Head. The place isn't much to look at, but the food is good and cheap... and we were feelin' kinda cheap so that worked out well! Logan ate his grilled cheese and fries and Ryan and I had chicken fingers and fries and then off we headed up the mountain to Mentone to the Wildflower Cafe to see Matthew playing music.


Wildflower Cafe


Matthew and his friend Ethan make up a duo, and they call themselves Speakers For The Moon. They play laid-back, acoustic style cover songs... anything from the 60s and 70s to present day. I thought they harmonized together very nicely and were a lot of fun to listen to. Logan had a lot of fun jumping and dancing in front of the little stage where they were performing. I even got to see my other cousin Clint when he showed up to see Matt, so that was a nice surprise, too. We stayed pretty late... I think it was about 10:00 central time when we left to drive home.


Me waiting for Matt & Ethan to start playing



Ethan & Matt, a.k.a. Speakers for the Moon



Matthew pickin'



Matthew lookin' very serious



Clint & his bike



Brotherly love, Clint & Matt



I didn't make it home until nearly midnight, and was pretty tired, but it was a fun day spent with family. And I couldn't have asked for Logan to have been a better kid. He never once got fussy or whiny. He is a lot of fun to take places, and I can tell he had a great time, too! Oh yeah, THANKS, RYAN FOR TAKING THESE PICTURES! I forgot my camera and was so glad Ryan remembered to take his along!!!

2 comments:

claudia said...

Hi Carly, Just thought I'd check your blog and was pleasantly surprised to see all the pictures! Glad Ryan got all those great pictures! Logan was a little doll that day and such a good boy! too ! I am totally exhausted ..A week long yard sale is just too much ! Hey come over again soon! The boys playing again Thursday! Your hair is really growing, looking good!! xoxoxo love ya claudia

Ashley Remignanti said...

Hi Carly, you're looking great! Just wanted to say hi. So nice that you have such a well-behaved two-year-old... those moments are a little rare in our house these days! Take care! :)