Wednesday, December 10, 2008

So many appointments...

Gretchen from Dr. Voelzke's office (my oncologist) called me this morning with all the dates and times for the procedures discussed yesterday. There are so many different procedures to get done in the next week. It's pretty overwhelming, but has to be done.

Monday, the 15th, I go for a consult visit with the surgeon who will be doing my port/catheter connected to the main vein in my chest. He won't be doing the port that day; he likes to meet with the patient first. Gretchen said that she told him I needed this inserted before the 22nd since that's when I meet next with my oncologist. So I'm thinking I'll have the port put in sometime shortly after that by the end of the week.

Wednesday, the 17th, will be a really long, grueling day for me. I have to be at Memorial Hospital at 6:45 a.m. for hospital registration and then will undergo the rest of the preliminary tests and the biopsy needed to begin chemotherapy. First, I'll have the PET scan so I won't be able to eat or drink anything after midnight Tuesday night. After that, I'll get the Pulmonary Function Test to check my lungs since they'll need to be monitored along the way since one of the chemo drugs has a tendency to cause lung damage over time so they'll be monitoring them closely. When that's done, I'll head to the Pathology Department for the bone marrow biopsy which I am so not looking forward to. When that's over, I'll have an echocardiogram done, again to monitor my heart in the same way as the lungs since one of the other chemo drugs can cause tissue damage to the heart over time.

Friday, the 19th, I have an appointment that was set up a few weeks ago with my primary care doctor just as a follow-up to the blood work and things he had done then. I'm going to call the office and see if this appointment is necessary and may end up cancelling it. I don't think there's really much for my main doc to do at this point since the Hodgkin's is being cared for by my oncologist. But I'll check with them just in case to see if he needs/wants to see me... he might, just to check on my general well-being while going through all this.

Monday, the 22nd, is when I'll meet with Dr. Voelzke again to go over the findings from the tests perfored at the hospital and then we'll discuss and plan my chemotherapy treatments and when they'll begin. The chemo could start as early as the 23rd, but I'm hoping to see if he'll let me start the therapy the following week, after the Christmas holiday is over. I'd really like to enjoy Christmas with my family without fear of being sick from my first round of chemo.

I've been "window shopping" online and found a few wigs that I think I like. They are styles that look similar to my real hair. I'd like to have a wig ordered and in hand before I lose my hair and really feel like a freak.

Today has been all right. I woke up early after not getting much sleep since Gretchen called pretty early. After I spoke with her, I couldn't go back to sleep since my mind was reeling with thoughts of all these tests and things and I had a little breakdown. I cried and called my mom just really upset. I want to be strong and I'm generally a very independent person. It feels so out of character for me to ask for help, so I know I'll struggle a bit with asking the family to help with Logan and other things around the house once I get treatments and have sick days and weaker moments. My mom told me it's okay to not be so strong, and it's okay to ask for help. That's what they're all there for. My grandma said that cancer is a "family thing", something that affects the whole family, not just the person diagnosed. She's right. I'll have to learn to let my guard down and just ask for and accept the help. Lucky for me, I have the greatest family in the world, and a loving, supportive husband and beautiful son to keep me motivated to fight to live. That's all the motivation I need, just looking at my little boy, knowing I can and will fight this for him.

Thank you so much for your prayers and good thoughts in this time when I need them so very much.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

that all sounds so overwelming but you are already off to a good start by staying positive and the support system you have built in with your family will be a big help.

i hope he lets you start the chemo after christmas so you can atleast enjoy the holidays with your family without the risk of not feeling well.

my dad usually feels good the first 48hrs after he gets his chemo and then after that feels very tired and drained, but it doesn't last. just make sure you rest when u need it and do let your family help you. your grandma is completely right..cancer is a family thing, it affects not just you but everyone. *hugs* you can so do this carly!!

Ryan Smoot said...

Carly

Plan on coming by this weekend to see you if you're up to it.

Ryan

Anonymous said...

You can do this, just like it seems like yesterday that Logan was a baby in 2 years it will seem like yesterday that beat this!! Keep you head up and know that SOOO many people are rooting for you!!!

xoxoxo

ER!N said...

Oh Carly, this just sucks, but you are strong and your family will help you get through it! You will fight it and win! No doubt about it!

Donna Moder said...

Hey Carly, our thoughts and prayers will be with you throughout your journey. Your mom has done a great job keeping us updated, and I love your blog.
Before you know it this will all be behind you. My boss went through breast cancer a few years ago and I learned alot from her. I even went to one of her chemo treatments with her (I was her comic relief, imagine that!) Anything you need let us know and we'll do our best to help you.
Take care and stay strong!

Abbie said...

Your mom is totally right. While we all respect your strength and independence, we know that you're going to be fighting with every ounce of strength for awhile. That's okay! I'm so glad you've got wonderful family around you to help you out and only wish I were closer so I could be more helpful, too!

Marci said...

Dang girl after hearing you say it all on the phone today it seemed like a lot, but to read it seems like more! You are handling this so well. We have talked several times, and you have yet to break down. You amaze me!

Jaime said...

Carly, you can do this! Your family is right, this is a family thing. If you can't lean on your family now when can you? Your family will help you fight this! You will fight this!

Robert & Tara Kadunce said...

Sounds like you're a pretty strong person that is tune to your body. I pretty sure you will make it through this before you know it. It's very overwhelming at first but once you get a handle on everything you can power through. Be sure to keep your nutrition up throughout the chemo treatment. It will help you recover faster between treatment intervals. We're praying for you.

Robert & Tara

Tina Marie said...

Carly,
I just "heard". Just know that we'll be praying for strength and a speedy recovery. If you need anything at all... I'm here for you mama!!! Please give Logan hugs and kisses from Cady. You're in my thoughts. Stay strong!