Tuesday, December 9, 2008

1st Appt with the Oncologist Today

I met with my Oncologist for the first time today. He's really, really nice, and seems to be very thorough. I'm so relieved that I like him and he seems to know exactly what precautions and steps to take to see that we really get this thing. He seemed optimistic that, no matter what stage this cancer is, I can beat it. He said Hodgkin's is one of the most curable cancers and they have excellent treatment options for it.

I'm still in the "staging" process where we're determining just how spread out the cancer is. The CT scan was a good indicator that it's not too bad, but he wants me to have a PET scan which will give him much better, clearer, more defined results. Also, because of the itching and hives being a B symptom of Hodgkin's, he wants me to also have a bone marrow biopsy to be sure it hasn't spread into my bone marrow. That part sounds a little scary and a little painful, but it has to be done.

He said it's general rule with this cancer to use Chemotherapy to treat it, and possibly Radiation. I can't remember all the technical names for the drugs in my chemo blend being used, but because of one of them, he said it's much safer to administer it using a port/catheter connected to a larger vein rather than the smaller veins in my arms. The port will be a little oval shaped thing placed just under the skin in my chest, and that's where they will administer the chemo.

My next appointment with him is on December 22nd. He said before that appointment that I will have the PET scan, port placement, and bone marrow biopsy all done. That means in the next week and half I'll undergo those three things. It sounds like a lot to do before then. I'm already sick of doctor's appointments and this is just getting started.

I did ask him about the possibility of becoming sterile and not being able to have any more children because of the drugs and he said it IS a possibility. There are options I have (possibly freezing eggs is one of the options I guess) but we'll talk about those more before I actually start chemotherapy. Also, one of the risks of one of the chemo drugs that will be used is possible damage to lung tissues and heart tissue, so before I will start treatment, I'll undergo a lung test and also an echocardiogram and my heart and lungs will be closely monitored along the way.

I don't feel too bad tonight, just tired and a little drained from the emotion of all this. I am really glad to know he's doing these additional steps to be more certain of how serious the cancer is. I was a little apprehensive about the appointment, but now I feel good about things and that I have a good Oncologist.

That's all for now. It's a lot of information to take in for one day. I should hear back from the lady at his office who will set all my appointments tomorrow and she'll tell me the specifics of when/where I go for all the things I mentioned above.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers!

4 comments:

Abbie said...

That is definitely a lot of news to take in, but I'm thrilled to hear you've got a very kind and proactive doctor on your side! Go let your mind rest a bit. :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad you have a good dr.!! I hope that you are able to get a bit of rest over the next few days!! I am thinking about you all the time :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a wonderful oncologist. I too hope that you can rest a little easier.

Unknown said...

oh carly i'm so happy to hear that your oncologist is so proactive and really is taking the time to explain everything to you and answer all your questions. those kinds of doctors are hard to come by these days. believe me! we finally got my dad a good oncologist after having gone through 3!!

will continue to send you positive thoughts. best to you and your fam.