Wednesday, February 18, 2009

4th Chemo & What's Next For Me

Sorry I haven't updated often enough lately!! My mom came to visit all last week and I was busy with her. She came with me to my 4th chemo and helped me take care of Logan and the housework since the chemo makes me so tired.

My 4th chemo treatment was on February 9th and I also met with my doctor that day, too. Dr. Voelzke wants me to have a PET Scan this week (I go on Thursday) and then meet with him again on Monday, the 23rd. He and the radiation oncologist, Dr. Ellis, will go over my scan together and determine if they feel I need another round of chemo or if I'm good to go on to radiation. I'm really hoping to be done with chemo and to just get the radiation done and over with, too. But I won't know until Monday.

Thursday will be a semi-long day at Memorial Hospital. I have to be there at 8:30 for a 9:00 Pulmonary Function Test (that lung function test they like to do after every 2 chemo treatments to make sure my lungs haven't been affected negatively by the chemo drugs.) Then my PET scan is scheduled for 11:00 and that will take a good 2 hours by the time they do my IV and inject that glucose stuff, then I wait for an hour and let my body absorb the glucose, then the scan is about 20 minutes long. I hate the scan because it's in this machine that's kind of similar to an MRI tunnel, just not quite as long of a tunnel. Last time I got a little panicky/claustrophobic... this time, Dr. Voelzke said I can take one of my anti-nausea pills which is also an anti-anxiety and hopefully that will help me get through the scan without freaking out like I did last time.

I'll update this as soon as I know more about my progress and more about what's happening for me next -- I'm hoping to find out on Monday that the cancer is gone, but we'll see! :)

No comments: