Wednesday, January 14, 2009

After the 2nd Chemo & My New Bald Debut

On Monday, before going for chemo, I had blood work done and met with Dr. Voelzke. My blood work came back fantastic. Surely that's in part to the "growth shot" as they call it (Neulesta) to make my body's bone marrow produce more blood cells. With my blood cell counts (CBC) being in the range they want, that's always good because it means no delays for me on my scheduled chemo. The doctor also did a physical exam of my lymph nodes, and already after only 1 chemo treatment he said he only felt what seemed like muscle fullness in my neck, but could not feel the enlarged nodes, whereas before he could easily feel them through my skin. So this is good news also... it means the nodes are shrinking in size. And that was after only ONE chemo!!!

I had my 2nd chemo treatment after meeting with the doctor. It seems to have gone more smoothly this time for me. I had already gone through it all once so I knew exactly what to expect, and since I'd gone through with flying colors (no drug reactions) the first time, they could speed the drip a little bit so it didn't take as long as it did the first time. They started me on my IV around 12:45 or 1:00 and we were done at exactly 3:30. I didn't feel quite as tired this time around, but definitely felt more light-headed which worried me as I thought I might get really bad nausea once I got home, but nope... I had none. After getting home, I went down for a nap at 5:30 and didn't get up until 9:30. Then I watched t.v. for a while and fell asleep around 1:30 and woke up at 11:30 the next morning. So I got a great night's sleep plus that nap.

Tuesday my friend Mike drove me to get the Neulesta shot. That went easy as pie again and we were in and out of the office in about 10 minutes. Afterward, we took Logan and had dinner out and then came home. I was feeling brave and definitely felt ready to take the next step... my hair was getting messy and falling out in larger pieces and clumps each day. It was becoming depressing combing so much of it out each time I'd shower or even feeling it all coming out while I was washing my hair in the shower. I was ready. So with the moral support of my best friend, Mike, and my grandma Hilda and, of course, my little cheerleader, Logan, we cut and shaved my hair.

I have to admit, I'm really, really proud of myself. I thought I'd cry or bawl my eyes out. I didn't. I was so strong. I believe I was truly ready to do it. I'd mentally prepared myself for a couple of weeks now as to how it was going to be without hair. All the praying I've done and others has done has truly been working in my life. I might have cancer, but I'm at the strongest I've ever been in my life. I owe that all to God and the support of my many friends and family praying for me and just sending so much love my way. And before you go thinking I'm all heroic and super-woman-like, I'm not. I'm just like you, or anyone else you know. When faced with something like this, a person's natural instincts are going to tell them to fight it. Hard core. And that's what I'm doing. There is no losing here for me. That's just not an option. My only viewpoint can ever possibly be optimism and positive vibes!

So before I say goodbye for this post, I will leave you with a few fun pictures of my hair-cutting experience! Enjoy!

Some "Before" Shots


Mike, the scary hair stylist:

Cutting of the ponytail:

Me holding the cut-off ponytail:

My hacked-up haircut, more hacking needed, almost ready for the clippers:


My little cheerleader, Logan, even let us give him a ponytail:

Bald is beautiful! Here I am now!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

You are beautiful and strong. You inspire me Carly!

Donna Moder said...

Hey Carly. You are beautiful with or without hair. Just think, you are halfway through chemo! Hang in there.

Love, Donna

Crystal said...

Hey Carly!
Thanks for sharing those photos, I think you look great without hair too!
So do you have a bunch of cool wigs to wear when ya feel like it, if ya do I so want to see them!

I'm so glad they are seeing progress in the nodes shrinking already, thats great news!

Brandi said...

Wow! You look great with a buzz cut girl! Glad things are looking good, and you are moving right along!